Want to help us out? Bitcoin: 1EZTVaGQ6UsjYJ9fwqGnd45oZ6HGT7WKZd
   Copyright - why EZTV is in the right.

Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » General » Thread ]

[#132918] Written by: newnick [27/04/10, 02:37]
Action: [ Reply ] [ Quote ]
Really, it's not even about money, at least not only, it's about control.

They expect that they have the control of what they make available, when they want, to whom and
how.

And the reality of it is that now these distribution methods exist, they must offer competitive options or
it will be shared freely to all.

It can't go backwards, people aren't going to be restricted anymore by outdated technology, the
question is do they want money more than control?

[#133185] Written by: SantaBJ (Super Moderator) [30/04/10, 10:24]
Quote by lordaccess
After getting a warning from my ISP I almost stopped downloading everything.
Everyone can say power to the people but when they storm into your house and confiscate your shit
then you ll probably put your head down and go to the court and plead guilty to avoid the consequences.
It is pretty easy to catch everyone that uses EZTV. Whoever seeds gets caught. Simple as that. Sure
VPN work but the speed sucks on most of them. So more or less bittorrent is doomed sooner or later.

Next option? Rapidshare? With all the fakes out there I doubt you can find what you want.

Usenet? Bleh again its hard to download something legit when everyone can upload whatever virus and
shit they want. So what would you do if you got a warning from your ISP? (as for the Pirate bay VPN
it sucks, a friend has it and the connection either wont work or it will be too slow).

Bullshit. The number of takedown notices/DMCA warnings etc compared to the number of downloads
alone will show you that this is false. "Whoever seeds gets caught", I call bullshit again - on that
particular topic I have better knowledge than anyone, and trust me when I say that this is just not how it
is.

VPNs work, and there are options out there that are fast and reliable. I find privacy.io to be quite
brilliant, for example.

If you stopped downloading because you got a warning, you've been had. Warnings don't mean shit.
They can be easily challenged if it comes to that, but most of the time it won't even get that far.
[#133188] Written by: SantaBJ (Super Moderator) [30/04/10, 10:56]
I recommend you all read The Pirate's Dilemma. Then, go take some advanced Economics classes. And
then some comp.sci., some history and some political knowledge classes. Now you should have what
you need to begin work on becoming "informed" on this subject.

Piracy points out flaws in the market. It is not piracy that hurts business, it is business that hurts
business. When piracy is succeeded in the competition against business, business has done something
*wrong*. They really have all the cards; property ownership, direct access to all related materials,
money, reach, experience and manpower. The problem is that they aren't using all of this right. So the
music industry is being "threatened" by piracy - what do you do? Do you harass and destroy the lives of
your fans? Or do you look at the so-called threat, figure out what exactly it is and then see how you can
compete with that?

For some reason, the idiots running the music industry fell down on the former. What they COULD have
done, is realize that people want to get what they want when they want it and in the form that they
want, free to control as they please. They also like bonuses. Humans are suckers for bonuses. Why do
you think all infomercials have at least three minutes of "but wait, there's more!"? So let me suggest to
you a model that would work.

1) A neutral music ownership registry that works across multiple sales outlets with the same login
information - the registry is passive and requires your login to get access to it, which means that it only
registers that you've bought a track license and keeps that license stored. It should NOT care about
where you got the track from, there should be a method for registering bought physical media (CD's,
vinyl etc), and it's a blanket license that allows you to have as many copies of the track as you want.

2) No DRM whatsoever. Trust your customers. Say this to yourself a hundred times - "my customers are
not criminals".

3) A "media recovery" function that allows you to download copies of your registered tracks at no cost in
case of data loss.

4) Variable quality and formats. Let your customers choose what quality and format they want.

5) Decent prices. iTunes prices aren't low enough.

6) Extras. This is important. Those with registered tracks should get the opportunity to purchase extras
related to those tracks. Concert tickets, paraphernalia (t-shirts, autographed stuff, etc), lyrics, sheet
music and so on.

7) Open a direct line of monetary support to the artists. Allow your customers to donate money directly
to those who make the music. I know, it goes against your instincts to allow money NOT to go via your
own pocket, but if the customers don't know that the artist gets any money you yourself aren't going to
get any money either. How about all the money goes to the artist and they compensate you after the
fact?

Many of the same points apply to the gaming industry, film and TV. Compete with piracy, don't try to
quash it - that has been a losing fight for centuries, and it's not going to change anytime soon. Stop the
DRM bullshit, it's like putting a roadblock in front of a team of road builders - it only stops everyone else
but those who it is supposed to stop. Make your games and films more easily accessible by being sales
platform neutral. Allow licensing after the fact - this makes pirates potential customers, since they can
license their pirated copies later (without fear of litigation!). And remember to make it worthwhile to get
legal licenses! Physical proof of ownership matters, license and content retention matters, bonus content
etc - the one thing pirates can't copy is the *experience* that you are actually able to sell. Use that to
your advantage.
[#133394] Written by: thisiscool [03/05/10, 10:52]
Upcoming 2010 tv series gotta be: Broadwalk Empire!

Yer there always looking for new ways to distribute their content!

And to everyone else, I think they'll start releasing 3D tv series' soon hahah to try and lure people out
of
pirating. Thats why theyre releasing almost every film now in the 3D because they think people would
rather see them in the cinema and not download them. But every one knows 3D cinema has been
around for years its a con. Dont get me wrong theres amazing animations and talent gone into things
like avatar. But 3D is a con and its worked look at all the money they got!!
[#133407] Written by: harp [03/05/10, 16:39]
test
[#133409] Written by: Covergal [03/05/10, 18:15]
I think a good solution for everyone concerned, would be if the actual adverts were in the tv series/movies themselves..
The characters could drink a certain brand of coffee or use a certain make of vacum cleaner.. the company would pay for
this (more as it would be going round the world and think of the repeats!) means no-one will be skipping the ads, all
organised up front, this way nothing downloaded would be illegal, the only people who will miss out will be the copyright
gurus.. Albums could have sponsers to reduce the price.. a companies logo on the cover maybe?
[#133433] Written by: sCifI3001 (Moderator) [04/05/10, 03:41]
Quote by Covergal
I think a good solution for everyone concerned, would be if the actual adverts were
in the tv series/movies themselves..
The characters could drink a certain brand of coffee or use a certain make of vacum cleaner.. the
company would pay for
this (more as it would be going round the world and think of the repeats!) means no-one will be
skipping the ads, all
organised up front, this way nothing downloaded would be illegal, the only people who will miss out
will be the copyright
gurus.. Albums could have sponsers to reduce the price.. a companies logo on the cover maybe?

product placement has been around for years
[#133622] Written by: The guy that did that thing [06/05/10, 20:52]
I stopped watching TV for a long while, because of commercials. Nothing I love more then to hear
about anal leakage while I eat dinner, or seeing some smutty ass ED commercial in the middle of an
airing of shrek or some other 'kid friendly' show. Not to mention the commercials that intend to be
annoying just to get you to look at the screen(Baskin & Robbins). It seems like as long as you have
money you could air 2girls1cup as long you edited down to 30 seconds(BTW I know this is not the way
it is, just seems like it). All I'm saying is its inappropriate to air commercials indiscriminate
of time slot and programming. Then there is the repetitive bombardment (the over-airing a
commercial)to top it all off.

The only way I'd stop downloading tv shows 'illegally'(really I believe it to be a grey area), is if
whoever made service that for less then the price of our current cable bill, we could download
whatever we wanted with no limits, without interruption, and preferably be easier and quicker then
how BT does it now. I like a lot of pirates stopped giving a fuck a long time ago about legality
and morality. The only things I really bother to care about now is can I get away with it, and will
it be worth the effort? I've been one since 96-97, so my views may be a bit more jaded then most.
Am I part of the problem? Maybe. Do I care? Not really no.
[#133639] Written by: sCifI3001 (Moderator) [07/05/10, 04:18]
Quote by The guy that did that thing
I stopped watching TV for a long while, because of commercials.
Nothing I love more then to hear
about anal leakage while I eat dinner, or seeing some smutty ass ED commercial in the middle of an
airing of shrek or some other 'kid friendly' show. Not to mention the commercials that intend to be
annoying just to get you to look at the screen(Baskin & Robbins). It seems like as long as you have
money you could air 2girls1cup as long you edited down to 30 seconds(BTW I know this is not the way
it is, just seems like it). All I'm saying is its inappropriate to air commercials indiscriminate
of time slot and programming. Then there is the repetitive bombardment (the over-airing a
commercial)to top it all off.

just a fyi, in australia they have regulations regarding 'add ratings' and networks get into trouble
for breaking these rules, they also have a regularly aired 15 sec info add, "if you see an offensive
add call this number" program
[#134526] Written by: dogfood [16/05/10, 21:12]
Admin says:

So again, we have someone stating the obvious - public swarms are "monitored". Had the poster even
one iota of understanding when it comes to how these things work he would a) not be worried
whatsoever and b) think of this as obvious. Private sites are no more safe than public ones. More often
than not, they are actually *less* safe despite their best efforts.

Just got done using EZTV site looks like the site is being monitored. Here is what I was sent.

BE WARNED GET A PRIVATE SITE TO DOWNLOAD OFF EZTV IS NOT SAFE ANYMORE.

Unauthorized Distribution of the Copyrighted Television Series Entitled
Dexter
Dear Abuse Department:
We are writing this letter on behalf of Showtime Networks Inc. ("SNI".
We have received information that an individual has utilized the below-referenced IP address at the
noted date and time to offer downloads of copyrighted television programs through a "peer-to-peer"
service, including such title(s) as:
Dexter
The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted television programs constitutes copyright
infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United States Code Section 106(3). This conduct may
also violate the laws of other countries, international law, and/or treaty obligations.
Since you own this IP address (***.***.**.**), we request that you immediately do the following:
1) Remove or disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct described above; and
2) Take appropriate action against the account holder under your Abuse Policy/Terms of Service
Agreement.
We also would request that you inform the individual who engaged in this conduct that legitimate
copies of SNI content are widely available for viewing online, for example on www.sho.com
<http://www.sho.com/> ; , as well as iTunes, Amazon.com and Movielink.com.
On behalf of SNI, owner of the exclusive rights in the copyrighted material at issue in this notice,
we hereby state that we have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained
of is not authorized by SNI, its respective agents, or the law.
Also, we hereby state, under penalty of perjury, that the information in this notification is
accurate and that we are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights being
infringed as set forth in this notification.
Please direct any end user queries to the following:
CopyrightQs@mediasentry.com
Please include the Case ID **********, also noted above, in the subject line of all future
correspondence regarding this matter.
We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Your prompt
response is requested.
Respectfully,
A Kempe
Enforcement Coordinator
MediaSentry
------------------------------
INFRINGEMENT DETAIL
--------------------
Infringing Work: Dexter
First Found: 14 May 2010 04:00:45 EDT (GMT -0400)
Last Found: 14 May 2010 04:00:45 EDT (GMT -0400)
IP Address: ***.***.**.**
IP Port: ******
Protocol: BitTorrent
Torrent InfoHash: 73766BB371F0D97E0AEA0572E86FF4BAE9702F4E
Containing file(s):
Dexter.S04E10.Lost.Boys.HDTV.XviD-FQM.avi.torrent (577,336,482 byte
[#134529] Written by: sCifI3001 (Moderator) [16/05/10, 21:31]
Quote by dogfood
Just got done using EZTV site looks like the site is being monitored. Here is what I
was sent.

BE WARNED GET A PRIVATE SITE TO DOWNLOAD OFF EZTV IS NOT SAFE ANYMORE.

it never was, it uses PUBLIC TRACKERS . . . . anyone can join the swarm :/

but, if you insist on going commando, so be it
[#134622] Written by: newnick [17/05/10, 16:33]
dogfood, your nick seem kinda fitting...

Use any torrent site public or private and you run a risk, I have not heard of anyone running PeerBlock or
any other good IP filter getting a notice.

[#137948] Written by: Trakker [09/07/10, 18:39]
"Admin says:
So again, we have someone stating the obvious - public swarms are "monitored". Had the poster even
one iota of understanding when it comes to how these things work he would a) not be worried
whatsoever and b) think of this as obvious. Private sites are no more safe than public ones. More often
than not, they are actually *less* safe despite their best efforts."

Where can one go to develop this iota of understanding?
I've been downloading without a second thought for years, figuring that while music and movies were
risky, TV shows were still in this grey zone where no one was doing anything about it yet. But now that
I'm aware that people are getting these infringement letters, well, I didn't know about them before. What
else do I not know about? Are people getting sued? I mean has anybody ever gotten sued for
downloading TV shows? Or is it only these warning letters? If private sites are no more safe than public
ones, what's the solution?
[#137951] Written by: newnick [09/07/10, 19:44]
No one has been sued for TV.

One solution is to stop being a pussy.

Another solution is to use peerblock.

Another solution is to use a seedbox or VPN, a free VPN is itshidden.com

Another solution is to switch to usenet.

As for private sites being less safe, I guess this makes sense since there is less of the "safety in numbers"
aspect.
[#138093] Written by: Dmfaust [12/07/10, 07:48]
They won't even bother sending the hollow warning letters out for non premium channel shows. (Note
that it's always Dexter and True Blood people mention.)

Not that it matters anyway. The warnings are a scare tactic and hold no legal value.

Regardless it is always a good idea to run whatever you can to maintain anonymity and block malicious
IPs, even if just to avoid getting sent bad segments that waste your time and bandwidth.
ipv6 ready