Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » Admin's Corner » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#139500] Written by: beisler [05/08/2010, 22:44]
wrong universe
[#139523] Written by: newnick [06/08/2010, 07:12]
why not use c64's for servers?

ok, just joking, get it? i'm going for: wrong century!

wrong millennium
[#139838] Written by: dandmanz [13/08/2010, 09:34]
download a program call peerblock it will block unwanted people from tracking you
[#139847] Written by: Dayana [13/08/2010, 12:29]
i use eztv every day. now i can no longer download anything. i get a pdoexception everytime.
[#140004] Written by: newnick [16/08/2010, 08:01]
found this, i guess this is as good a place to put it as any...
note, i didn't write this.

has anyone noticed that sometimes we tend to act like spoiled brats?

people go through the time and effort to set up a site and share it with us. many times they ask for
nothing in return (such as is the case with torrent sites). many of these guys skirt the law and risk
financial ruin and we reap the benefits. setting up and maintaining a site is not free.
we enjoy it and rarely tell them thank you. but when something goes wrong, we suddenly become
very critical of them because we were inconvenienced.

things break down, software gets corrupted, and hardware fails... even more so if you are trying to do
it on a budget. usually this happens when it's most inconvenient.

for legal reasons, a lot of these sites are being hosted in a country that the site owner does not live.
however, even if they aren't, there are some common denominators to all sites: you usually don't have
24 hour physical access to your server. (kind of makes it hard to fix a hardware problem huh?) if it's a
software or operating system problem, you might not be able to remote into your server and fix it. in
the case of foreign sites providers, the support people at the other end may not even speak your
language or if they do, they do so badly. some sites take donations (eztv doesn't) and some don't.
those that don't are probably trying doing so to avoid being accused of profiting from their site.

common guys and gals, do you really think the people who own these torrent sites woke up one
morning and said to themselves, "hey, i think i'll set up a really bad website so i can listen to people
complain about it"?

if you paid for access to a site and it goes down, then you have every right to complain. if you didn't,
then you should expect this kind of thing to happen.

these guys aren't microsoft, ibm, or ebay. they have limited budgets and a lot of limitations to
operate under that the professional sites operators don't have.

i have seen more than one very good site close down because the owner got tired of reading
ungrateful and some times viciously critical complaints from people when something went wrong.

imagine being in one of those site owners. the site you have (which is a labor of love) is down. you
spent three days and several hundred dollars (or euros) getting it back up only to find hate mail and
negative comments waiting for you when you did. how would you feel?

think i'm being harsh? think you can do a better job? then use your own money, set up your own
site, risking your financial future if you really think you can do it. then you can be on the other side of
the keyboard when things go wrong and find out what that's like.

james carey aka maximilian excaliber

consider too the volume of traffic eztv gets, it's not easy.
also it is worth noting that the most important thing eztv does is release the torrents and the website
is just an expensive convenience, the torrent releasing seldom misses a beat.
[#140011] Written by: maglette [16/08/2010, 11:33]
thank you for your website; it's my only way of watching tv! i have one question, couldn't find an
answer anywhere. i can find some of my favorite shows in television show releases, such as haven and
covert affairs, but cant find them in the regular show list. will they be added to the show list or do i
just need to be quicker in downloading them before the go off the page?! your site is better than ever;
thank you for all your effort. :c)
[#140027] Written by: newnick [16/08/2010, 17:46]
until they are added, you can use the 'next page' button until you come across the right day/torrent.
[#140056] Written by: sCifI3001 [17/08/2010, 02:38]
Quote by maglette
thank you for your website; it's my only way of watching tv! i have one question,
couldn't find an
answer anywhere. i can find some of my favorite shows in television show releases, such as haven and
covert affairs, but cant find them in the regular show list. will they be added to the show list or
do i
just need to be quicker in downloading them before the go off the page?! your site is better than
ever;
thank you for all your effort. :c)

there is a search on the main page, or use this one i prepared earlier

http://www.ezrss.it/search/?mode=simple&show_name=covert
[#140132] Written by: savman2a [18/08/2010, 10:41]
Quote by newnick
because while i could be wrong (stats will show if this is needed) i am sure a lot of
the load is people
checking every minute or even more frequently to see if their show has come out yet

hi all just to add my two cents, if newnicks answer is right then would it not be nice if an
automated email be sent out to let you know the show you want is ready to download!

sorry if i'm butting in to something that's not my concern!, and i apologize in advance if this is
not relevant!

oh to the people who run this site, many thanks for putting up with us all, and for a well fun site!

oh sorry for my spelling!
[#140172] Written by: NovaKing (Administrator) [19/08/2010, 03:57]
Quote by savman2a
Quote by newnick
because while i could be wrong (stats will show if this is needed) i
am sure a lot of
the load is people
checking every minute or even more frequently to see if their show has come out yet

hi all just to add my two cents, if newnicks answer is right then would it not be nice if an
automated email be sent out to let you know the show you want is ready to download!

sorry if i'm butting in to something that's not my concern!, and i apologize in advance if this is
not relevant!

oh to the people who run this site, many thanks for putting up with us all, and for a well fun site!

oh sorry for my spelling!

we don't store anyone's email address, nor will we ever want to. plus sending out emails to the
350k+ users in our system would just be silly on a daily basis.
[#140199] Written by: newnick [19/08/2010, 17:38]
here is an idea, maybe a marginal one but an idea none the less...

make several email lists for the most popular shows, the ones that really swamp the site. (or just one that
announces the top shows?)

and then one email is sent to the list which then goes out to however many people.

i still don't really think the idea is good, but in theory it is pretty straight forward, infact it could be done by
anyone not just eztv.

of course yahoo or whatever free email list service is used (assuming such is used) may either kill the
group or there might be limits on the numbers of subscribers, also i'm not sure free announcements only
lists exist.

really not the best idea but it would not be totally necessary for eztv servers to send emails to hundreds of
thousands of email addresses directly.
[#140224] Written by: sCifI3001 [20/08/2010, 03:10]
Quote by newnick
here is an idea, maybe a marginal one but an idea none the less...

make several email lists for the most popular shows, the ones that really swamp the site. (or just
one that
announces the top shows?)

and then one email is sent to the list which then goes out to however many people.

i still don't really think the idea is good, but in theory it is pretty straight forward, infact it
could be done by
anyone not just eztv.

of course yahoo or whatever free email list service is used (assuming such is used) may either kill the
group or there might be limits on the numbers of subscribers, also i'm not sure free announcements only
lists exist.

really not the best idea but it would not be totally necessary for eztv servers to send emails to
hundreds of
thousands of email addresses directly.

. . . or

they could use the old faithful rss feed
[#140267] Written by: newnick [20/08/2010, 22:39]
sure, but rss feeds from what i recall still work much like webpages...

you still need to ask for a current copy of the feed to see if it's updated, it still sends old info and the
server requirements are greater with more users. only up side is that there is less overhead compared to
websites potentially.

with an email list it only sends when there is an update, it sends potentially a single link (little point
though), it sends one email that the list/group server then passes on to thousands.

the down sides though are obvious, there must be a list of subscribers email addresses, this fantasy
assumes that a free/cheap group server that can send to possibly hundreds of thousands plus in a timely
manner is plausible, and finally that people want this delivered by email.
[#140299] Written by: NovaKing (Administrator) [21/08/2010, 21:13]
again.. we plan to never request email addresses. so mailouts will never occur.

rss is optimized and cached, so overhead is little to none.
[#140818] Written by: chaced [01/09/2010, 10:16]
* wrong thread
ssl  EZTV RSS EZTV Status | EZTV API | DMCA: [email protected]