Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » Episodes » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#176223] Written by: UtahNL [11/02/2012, 06:35]
where is the 720p rip?

there is one on piratebay but its rarred
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7023703/fringe.s04e12.720p.hdtv.x264-dimension#filelistcontainer
[#176238] Written by: mancubas [11/02/2012, 13:03]
Quote by utahnl
where is the 720p rip?

there is one on piratebay but its rarred
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7023703/fringe.s04e12.720p.hdtv.x264-dimension#filelistcontainer

thanks!

[#176245] Written by: Khrim [11/02/2012, 16:55]
oh i hate those rared files... thanks for posting this though.
[#176251] Written by: Trench [11/02/2012, 18:06]
maybe someone who knows "the scene's policy on this" could illuminate further, but use of rar
certainly seems like something that must date back to when encodings were inefficient (such that
further compression of the video was even possible), and/or torrent and download protocols were not
adept at resume (so having the download broken into "chunks" was a benefit).

i am completely at a loss for why it would still be done today.

i do think using rar leads to less seeders. i go out of my way to try and keep the rar seeding as
long as i can, in addition to holding the extracted copy i can actually watch. but there have been times
when i needed space that these "duplicate" and useless rar copies are what got deleted.

if the watchable file had been the only file, i could have kept seeding longer. <shrug>

[#176255] Written by: Khrim [11/02/2012, 18:29]
Quote by trench
maybe someone who knows "the scene's policy on this" could illuminate further, but use
of rar
certainly seems like something that must date back to when encodings were inefficient (such that
further compression of the video was even possible), and/or torrent and download protocols were not
adept at resume (so having the download broken into "chunks" was a benefit).

i am completely at a loss for why it would still be done today.

i do think using rar leads to less seeders. i go out of my way to try and keep the rar seeding as
long as i can, in addition to holding the extracted copy i can actually watch. but there have been
times
when i needed space that these "duplicate" and useless rar copies are what got deleted.

if the watchable file had been the only file, i could have kept seeding longer. <shrug>

indeed! thanks for the well written post. i think the issue is/was with isp speeds as well. the
smaller the file, the faster the download. i remember back in the days before napster when a song
would take an hour or more to download on dial up.. haha sad to think that was only 15-20 years ago.

i think rars still have a purpose as they do greatly compress files (based on a substitution
principle) so they can cut down on duplicate code or repetative sections of the code. now, for
torrent files like a single tv show and with what isp speeds are becoming today, i don't think rars
are really needed. it's always nice to have a faster download, but i think most of us have fast
enough download speeds that we don't need the hassle of a broken up file that is again compressed.

/my2cents
[#176266] Written by: Ric Adbur [12/02/2012, 02:45]
what a great episode. i love this show.
[#176273] Written by: ashnut [12/02/2012, 05:40]
rar of videos has nothing to do with compression. they are already compressed by the codec.
before the movies/tv/games/whatever arrive on poublic torrent sites, they are distributed by a network of ftp sites. these
ftp sites are set up to verify checksums of files that are uploaded, and alert the uploader if there is need to reupload a file.
splitting into rarfiles on 10mb-50mb will limit the amount you have to retransmit, thats a good thing when ratios are tight.
also it speeds up the whole process of distribution.
[#176274] Written by: ashnut [12/02/2012, 05:42]
also vlc can play video from rar files directly, which is pretty neat.
[#176373] Written by: Trench [13/02/2012, 21:31]
Quote by ashnut
rar of videos has nothing to do with compression...

thanks for the insight, though i still interpret that as confirmation of "for no good reason".

totally bypassing the discussion of there being robust protocols that could be used for the initial upload
instead (including, oh what's the name of that protocol, oh yeah, "bittorrent"), even if it was desired to
transfer to the server via ftp in segmented rars, that still doesn't preclude recomposing the file (with
checksum, as provided by the rar format itself) at the server, to seed the torrent using the actual
video file. but sure, it's a choice to continue doing it the other way; the other posts are just voicing
what the percieved drawbacks are in continuing to do it that way post-1992.

Quote by ashnut
also vlc can play video from rar files directly, which is pretty neat.

thanks, i did not know that. you can actually give me a semi by talking about players that can play
straight from .iso format, too. but it's a bit like saying "my ipod touch also has an attachment for
playing 8-track tapes". the question isn't whether it's cool, it's why are you still looiking for ways to
continue using 1970's technology in modern times.

-trench
[#176419] Written by: ashnut [14/02/2012, 12:58]
i would like to point out that im not "defending" the reasons why rared videos exist.
for bittorrent distribution it certainly makes no sense, checksumming is already built in.

you asked for "the scene" policy didnt you? im not trying to bypass a discussion on anything.

"the scene" still uses ftp. and that is where most stuff originates from.
i suspect they dont really need the benefits of the bittorrent protocol either.
and they are elitist pricks anyway, they loath public trackers.
they dont care about the "end user" outside of the scene.
so they will not choose technologies which will be of benefit to the end user.
glftpd/ioftpd/raiden + auto sfv check + sitebot is their tech of choice.
they have all the tools written already, scriptable ftpd -> do whatever when file upload complete, to autochecksumming,
to alerting if sum doesnt match (creating dummy files/renaming broken stuff), to spamming irc when its done/failed.

everything is based on ratios. upload 1mb to download 3 or 5 or whatever. the couriers dont want to be penalized 700mb
because a couple bits were flipped, so the segmentation in rars (but not necessarily compressed) makes it so that only
10mb or whatever is wasted. all of this is ofcourse tighlty integrated with the ftpd.

bottom line there is just a lot of inertia and scene standards that will resist change to anything else.
their old tools do site to site transfer great, and they care not of peer to peer / end user friendliness.

so the bittorrent community adapts by autounraring stuff on seedboxes (or on ftp sites just prior) on upload.
however there will always be uploaders that dont unrar unfortunately.

and i just thought i'd help you out by mentioning you dont need duplicates if you are low on space.
dont take a chunk out of me for being the messenger.
[#176609] Written by: melisa22gudmornin [15/02/2012, 11:28]
* admin removed
ssl  EZTV RSS EZTV Status | EZTV API | DMCA: [email protected]